Courtesy of Charlotte Douglas International Airport

Late last week, a judge dismissed two lawsuits against the City of Charlotte. Both were brought by taxi companies and alleged a pay-to-play scheme determined which companies could pick up passengers at Charlotte-Douglas International. The ruling is a major legal victory for the city and the airport. But it doesn’t mean ground transportation at the airport necessarily goes back to the status quo. 

Julie Rose

Two cab companies are suing the city of Charlotte and nine others over the controversial taxi contract at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. They claim that contract was decided by a conspiracy of business and civic leaders as well as former mayor Patrick Cannon.

It’s now up to a Mecklenburg County Superior Court judge to decide if the case can go forward.

WFAE’s Tom Bullock was in the courtroom today and joins Duncan McFadyen to discuss.

Charlotte City Council is giving up the idea of regulating drivers for app-based ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft. 

Duncan McFadyen

The city of Charlotte is looking to regulate drivers for smartphone-based ridesharing services including Uber-X and Lyft. But taxi drivers say the proposed restrictions still give the companies an unfair advantage.

Julie Rose

Amid an FBI investigation, a city ordered review and claims that corruption was at the heart of the original process, the Charlotte airport is re-opening its controversial taxi contract.

Julie Rose

The FBI has expanded its investigation of corruption in Charlotte. Agents are now looking into allegations of a pay-to-play scheme involving Taxi companies and the airport.

Julie Rose

The head of Charlotte Douglas International Airport says he will take an extra 30 days to decide the fate of the airport’s taxi contract.  That contract is up for renewal. But allegations of corruption has led Interim Aviation Director Brent Cagle to look at what legal options he has in seeking a new deal. He made the announcement last night, while airport staff briefed the city council on the process that lead to the contract in the first place.  It was a briefing with some holes.

WFAE Money & Influence reporter Tom Bullock joins Greg and Lisa this week to discuss his investigation of what some taxi company owners say was a bribery scheme in awarding lucrative airport contracts.

Courtesy of Charlotte Aviation Department

Officials at Charlotte Douglas International are examining if they should continue to allow just three taxi companies sole rights to pick up passengers at the airport. This after renewed charges a pay-to-play scheme determined those slots. But the airport may have no choice but to extend the controversial contract.

Tom Bullock/WFAE News

Monday we brought you the story of an alleged pay-to-play scheme involving Charlotte Douglas International Airport and taxi companies.  In 2011 the City Council slashed the number of companies that could pick-up at the airport from 12 to 3. The allegations were that only companies that paid $5,000 to join The Greater Charlotte Hospitality and Tourism Alliance, or HTA, were given the coveted slots. Those who did not were cut out of the most lucrative market in the city for cabs.

In our earlier report, Diamond Cab owner Obaid Khan said, "We feel like you shouldn’t have to pay to play. That’s exactly what took place at the airport."

Last night, Khan addressed the Charlotte City Council about another side of the controversy.