Summer Squash And Zucchini Galore!
If your garden has supplied you with a whole boatload of zucchini and squash like mine has, you may be wondering what to do with all of it. You’ve pawned it off on your neighbors and co-workers but you’re still flush with squash. Well, we have a few suggestions.
- Roast or grill it with other vegetables. Just a touch of olive oil and your favorite spices and herbs. Great with steak or chicken and couscous. I like roasting or grilling it because it helps eliminate some of the sliminess you can get when cooking zucchini or squash.
- Zucchini bread. It’s sweet, light, moist and has a serving of vegetables! (I’ve even heard you can pass it off on children – they won’t know the difference.) Add walnuts for a little crunch.
- Oven-fried squash and zucchini. I love fried zucchini and squash (who doesn’t) but if you’re trying to watch the fat, try this. It’s much better for you and fairly passable if you’re craving the deep-fried stuff.
- Zucchini or squash Parmesan. We’ve also eaten it as a meat-substitute on meatless Mondays. Cook good-sized chunks of it on the stove and toss with sun-dried tomato pesto, pasta and Parmesan for a faux Chicken Parmesan. You could even do this with the oven-fried zucchini if you want to get really crazy.
- Zucchini Lasagna. Throw in some diced zucchini or squash to add more vegetables to your regular lasagna recipe. Or to make it super low-carb, try replacing the noodles with long slices of zucchini. Yes, I’m skeptical too, but willing to give it a shot.