- 49: Percent of tree canopy lost between 1995 and 2008
- One: Public tree for every seven residents
- $11.83: Amount spent per person on its street trees
- 215: Tree species in the city's inventory. Predominant tree species are willow oak and crapemyrtle
- $166: Total benefits of an average street tree
- 28: Million cubic feet of stormwater intercepted annually
- $2.1: Million dollars in stormwater management savings
- 10,860: Tons of carbon dioxide sequestered
- 3,235: Tons of emissions reduced
- 2.76: Million in increased property value
- 100+: Average height, in feet, of the tallest street trees
The latest episode of "A Trifling Place" is about how a banking town became a city of tree-huggers. Listen to it here: "Charlotte's Tree Obsession".
Need more reason to love trees in Charlotte? I have to refer you to this poem by Joyce Kilmer called "Trees" that a listener requested I post. It starts,
" I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree ... "