Thu January 23, 2014
Meet The 'Food Babe'
Vani Hari started FoodBabe.com in April 2011 to spread information about what is really in the American food supply. She left her 13 year management consulting career to pursue this passion. A Charlotte native, Vani teaches people how to make the right purchasing decisions at the grocery store, how to live an organic lifestyle, and how to travel healthfully around the world.
Here she shares one of her favorite recipes for a green shake. Vani says that drinking one green juice/smoothie/shake a day can provide exponential health & healing benefits. Stronger tasting vegetables are complimented well with sweet and citrus fruits, so don't shy away from the healthful greens. And all of it is nutritious and delicious!
Food Babe's Hari Shake
Courtesy Vani Hari and FoodBabe.com
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
- 4 cups kale removed from stem
- 4 large stalks of celery chopped
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs cilantro
- 1 pear chopped
- 1 apple chopped or 1 cup strawberries or fruit of your choice
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 ounces of filtered water
- Wash all vegetables thoroughly and place into a large bowl
- Add 8 ounces of water and lemon juice into a blender with 2 cups kale
- Blend for 30 secs until just incorporated
- Add additional kale, herbs and celery and keep blending for another 30 secs
- Next add apple and pear and blend for another 30-60 secs until well combined (Do not over blend)
- Pour mixture into 2 glass storage jars
- Best served after chilled - especially for your first one!
Makes approximately two 20 ounce servings - Sip slowly and drink with intention immediately after or store up to two days. **Pears and Apples work great because they bind all the ingredients together and make a creamier consistency - but feel free to add a variety of fruits to your liking - but not more than 1 serving of fruit per smoothie** ***Please buy all organic ingredients if possible*** Recipe by Food Babe.