Commissioners Seek Answers on Flood Insurance
Wed September 3, 2008
Commissioners Seek Answers on Flood Insurance Debacle
Mecklenburg County officials say at least 600 residences were damaged in last week's floods. Tonight, commissioners will try to learn how 30 of those residences were without flood insurance they thought they had through the county. "I lost pretty much everything. I mean furniture, books I've been collecting for years. I mean you name it-all the things that furnish a household," says Chris Jeannot, a resident of the Cavalier Apartments on Charlotte's East Side. Jeannot thought he had some protection. This summer Mecklenburg County bought the Cavalier apartment building where he lived because it's in a floodplain. Residents were told the county would pay for flood insurance until they moved. Jeannot and others signed their policies in July. But someone did not do their job. It was a complicated process. The county hired a sub-contractor to take care of these policies. That sub-contractor hired an insurance broker to find a company to insure the residents. So far no one's taking responsibility. "Basically they're telling me out of luck. Now of course I'm wondering what happened for a month between July 15 when I signed my papers and the agent took them away and August 13th when it was filed," says Jeannot. Dave Canaan, the director of the county's Storm Water Services says his staff is investigating what went wrong. He hopes the policies can be salvaged. In the meantime, Canaan says the county sent most Cavalier residents a check for about $1,000 to help with re-locating expenses, money they were supposed to get anyway.