Arts & Life
9:23 am
Fri February 15, 2013

Anonymous Donors Give Charlotte Symphony $2 Million

A group of anonymous donors is giving the Charlotte Symphony $2 million. The donors’ contribution could increase if some financial goals are met.

The donation represents about one-quarter of the Symphony’s $9 million budget.

Two-thirds of that comes from fundraising, but it’s been 10 years since the Symphony met its fundraising goals, says Robert Stickler. He’s the Symphony’s Interim Executive Director.

“The symphony has been having a bad time financially. This helps us get back on our feet, it helps us express confidence to other potential contributors in the community.”

In fact, Stickler says the anonymous donors have indicated another significant contribution will be made if it meets this year’s fund-raising goal. The symphony needs to raise about $800,000 by July to meet this year’s budget.

“If we are close, that would be a significant improvement over last year, so I think they would accept that.”

The symphony launched a $40-million dollar endowment campaign two years ago, but that effort was put on hold because it was having enough trouble meeting annual fundraising goals.

  This story is produced through the Charlotte Arts Journalism Alliance (CAJA), a consortium of local media dedicated to covering the arts .