Brent Cagle

Courtesy of Charlotte Douglas International Airport

Late last week, a judge dismissed two lawsuits against the City of Charlotte. Both were brought by taxi companies and alleged a pay-to-play scheme determined which companies could pick up passengers at Charlotte-Douglas International. The ruling is a major legal victory for the city and the airport. But it doesn’t mean ground transportation at the airport necessarily goes back to the status quo. 

Julie Rose

More than 44 million passengers flew through Charlotte-Douglas International Airport last year. That was a record, one that the airport hopes won’t stand for long.

Monday night, the Charlotte City Council will hear plans to expand Charlotte Douglas. They call for a new runway and nearly doubling the number of gates at the airport.

Nicola since 1972 / Flickr

Charlotte-Douglas airport’s calling card has long been low cost for airlines. CLT is the cheapest of the nation’s 25 largest airports for airlines to drop or collect passengers.  The airport moves more passengers using less space than any other, and employs less than half the average number of employees. But, according to reports released today, that thriftiness is creating its own costs: mishandled contracts and payments from a lack of oversight.


Julie Rose

Amid an FBI investigation, a city ordered review and claims that corruption was at the heart of the original process, the Charlotte airport is re-opening its controversial taxi contract.

Julie Rose

The head of Charlotte Douglas International Airport says he will take an extra 30 days to decide the fate of the airport’s taxi contract.  That contract is up for renewal. But allegations of corruption has led Interim Aviation Director Brent Cagle to look at what legal options he has in seeking a new deal. He made the announcement last night, while airport staff briefed the city council on the process that lead to the contract in the first place.  It was a briefing with some holes.


Courtesy of Charlotte Aviation Department

Officials at Charlotte Douglas International are examining if they should continue to allow just three taxi companies sole rights to pick up passengers at the airport. This after renewed charges a pay-to-play scheme determined those slots. But the airport may have no choice but to extend the controversial contract.

Julie Rose

  US Airways called it "disappointing." House Speaker Thom Tillis called it "incredibly irresponsible" and "unwise."  But Charlotte City Manager Ron Carlee says his decision to install a new director of the Charlotte Airport was "simply business."