Charlotte City Council Continuing Airport Lawsuit, Despite New State Law
The Charlotte city council met behind closed doors Monday night with its lawyers to discuss, once again, the ongoing lawsuit against state lawmakers and the airport commission they created to take control of Charlotte Douglas. The council will continue the suit, despite another, recent state law intended to stop it.
The court fight has run for almost a year, meaning who will control the nation’s sixth-busiest airport has remained in limbo. Last month, North Carolina’s General Assembly passed another bill they hoped would settle the issue. It directed Charlotte’s leadership to stop resisting and support the commission. Mayor Dan Clodfelter says the city does not intend to comply.
“We don’t think the new version of the bill addresses any of the concerns we had in the original lawsuit, so for now the lawsuit is continuing,” says Clodfelter.
In the meantime, the City Council retains control of the airport, at the judge’s order.
Last night was the second time the council has met in closed session, meaning no public allowed, to discuss the lawsuit since the new legislation passed. Clodfelter said the meeting was simply a status report.