Make an impact on the community. Work with a team of smart, collaborative colleagues.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a mission–minded and innovative digital news leader.
WFAE, an award-winning public radio station serving the Charlotte region for more than 35 years, seeks a Managing Editor for News and Digital to help shape reporting across digital and emerging platforms, and help lead community engagement initiatives. The Managing Editor for News and Digital will possess a sophisticated and nuanced understanding of national and international headlines as well as news that is important to local communities. In addition, the Managing Editor for News and Digital will be responsible for leading daily news meetings, helping to establish the daily news agenda and determining how news is covered and presented across multiple platforms. The Managing Editor for News and Digital must be a student of media and technology, and will be expected to stay abreast of trends that impact the ways in which we cover news and present it to our audience.
The Managing Editor for News and Digital will be an important member of the news and programming senior team, and as such must demonstrate the ability to lead, collaborate with and motivate colleagues and direct reports to reach key goals.
The Managing Editor for News and Digital will report to the Chief Content Officer and will work closely with the News Director and Web Manager to fulfill the responsibilities of the job. This job is located in Charlotte N.C.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing a small team of journalists focused on digital news innovation and helping lead an audience-focused, digital-first newsroom
- Leading the development of a content and distribution strategy that aligns with audience needs and expectations across digital platforms and distribution channels
- Working with the News Director to craft the morning, afternoon, evening and weekend news budget detailing our daily on-air, digital and social media plan
- Overseeing the creation of and implementing a digital-first strategy for morning news headlines and breaking news throughout the day
- Reporting, writing, curating or creating daily news content, interactives, multimedia content
- Evolving of our newsletter products
- Reshaping on-air content, as well as creating original content, for online and mobile platforms
- Developing online news packages, sections on the most important topics WFAE reporters are covering
- Crafting the social media strategy and overseeing daily execution, including actively promoting WFAE content, features, events, etc.
- Helping to identify and develop relationships with and content for diverse digital communities of interest
- Collaborating with the Web Manager and others to build and implement platforms and tools that help transform our news product and better serve our audience
- Leveraging audience data to shape content and engagement strategies
- Staying abreast of industry trends in journalism and technology and being an advocate for best practices, as they relate to those trends, in the newsroom
- Serving as a digital and social evangelist in the newsroom, working with the Web Manager to train staff training
- Working closely with the Web Manager to experiment with new technologies that promote audience growth and engagement, and that foster innovation in the way we package and present our content
- Helping to build, implement and sustain partnerships with community and national organizations that align with WFAE’s goals and mission
- Working closely with newsroom leadership to create a podcast strategy
- Serving as a representative of WFAE in community forums and at industry events
- 10+ years as a leader in a fast-paced digital news environment
- Strong news judgment and an insatiable appetite for news
- Experienced content editor
- Excellent people management and project management experience
- Student of industry news to stay abreast of best practices as well as trends in news consumption and emerging technologies
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong technology skills
- Ability to understand analytics and leverage insights to improve content and build audience
- Experience working with videographers/video journalism
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include Managing Editor of News and Digital as the subject line of your email. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter in order for us to consider your application.
WFAE is a fast-paced public radio station offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for challenges. We offer a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
Across WFAE, we strive to:
- Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
- Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
- Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
- Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
- Include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
- Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
- Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
- Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.